Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm Ascared

Be careful what you pray for. I've been jonesing for kitten season. I saw my next door neighbor at the market tonight; my neighbor is a former veterinary assistant who is now a professional pet sitter. Am I lucky or what? She asked if I have any kittens yet. I told her "No, not yet and I just can’t wait!" My son echoed me by saying "It's been so long since we had little tiny kittens!" (It's only been since the middle of December but we are both addicted). I got home and by the time I checked email, it was evening. I had a message from Larry at the shelter. (I sometimes refer to as "my dope dealer" as kittens are my drug of choice). He has two grey and white kittens in need of fostering.
Oh boy!
They are two days old.
Oh no!!!!
Yikes! I'm all rusty, It would be ideal after this Winter break to start slowly... get my feet wet so to speak with some easy kittens. This is like jumping into icy water...
Uh oh
I'm about to attack myself with my own analogy!* Yes, icy water like what surrounded the Titanic. That's what these babies are in! They need a life boat! Come on Susan, don't be a pussy! Go get those kittens!
I called Larry, He wasn't in. Phew! I'm off the hook...
No I'm not...
I'm thinking about them.
Truly these kittens would be better off with somebody who has more experience than me. I'm still kind of new at this. I pray that the kittens are in a nice warm house tonight. But I emailed Larry letting him know that if they're still there in the morning, I will take them.
I hope they are not there. I SOOOO hope that they are in somebody's warm hands. Mostly because spending the night in the shelter will expose them to illness. The likelihood of bringing home sick kittens grows with each hour. There's not much I can do until morning. Actually, this is a bit of a wake up call. AM I prepared for little ones? Actually I'm not. I need to get some itty bitty kitty safe litter. Most people use the wheat litter (Swheat Scoop)There is also "The Worlds Best Litter" It's made of corn. Both are actually edible. This is important as the scoopable clay litters can kill a tiny kitten if they ingest even a small amount. It's also something to consider if you have a dog who likes to raid the litter box for a chewy snack now and then.
Eeeeeew!

" It is actually NOT my analogy. "Kitten Carpathia" and the whole Titanic theme are just a bit of the creative madness that comes from my good friend Mike (AKA Broccoli Man). He gets the credit for the idea (but I did the artwork. All the kittens in the lifeboat are fosters of mine) Thank you Mike.

0 comments: