Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why Foster Parent?

The key to a healthy heart is to have many things to love. OK diet and exercise help too but I'm not as good at those things. If you love baby animals, surrounding yourself with them can be like heaven on Earth. It can also be a huge burden of responsibility and the smell is not too heavenly. I started this blog to encourage people to call their local shelters and volunteer for the foster program. While I applaud anyone who becomes a foster parent, I also applaud anyone with the presence of mind to take a good look at what is involved and decide that it's not for them. You are still welcome to come here!
The way I see it is that I get to have these adorable little bundles in my home and it's just a treat. They leave before they're big enough to destroy the furniture; we get them at their cutest! We can also get them at their scariest! Be sure to let the shelter know what age you are comfortable with. I have a friend who took in a litter that was only three days old. They still had the stumps of their umbilical chords on their tummies! These teeny tiny babies don't even have their eyes open and it will be a while before they respond to "love". They are just a collection of neurons snapping and they are feeling traumatized at the loss of their mother. This is like a human baby in that they need care around the clock. You will be setting alarms so you can feed them in the night and unlike a human baby, this is a litter. You may have six mouths to feed every two hours! You will be trained by your shelter before being placed on the foster parent list. If you feel overwhelmed at the end of the training session, BE HONEST! Let them know your limitations! Some times they have litters that are completely weaned but just a bit too young and not socialized. I had a litter like that. They just needed to learn how to get along with people. These kids were even litter trained! What fun, I only had to provide kitten chow and love. Be honest with yourself and the shelter about how young you can handle and how many. I won't take more than five bottle feeders and I've been very lucky in getting litters of only three. Really, three is about all I can handle with bottle feeders. "Lap" becomes a magical word! When you can put a saucer of formula on the ground and have them feed themselves, it's time to break open a bottle of champagne (although by then you may need a good strong jug of moonshine)
The biggest pitfall is saying "good bye" and this is what has most people saying "I could never do it. I'd adopt them all." One thing that helps me is to take a spiritual approach to being able to love without owning. Something does not have to be mine for me to love it. But the biggest help is to have more than one litter so that there are still babies to come home to after you drop off a litter. During kitten season, I rarely come home from the shelter with an empty carrier. The end of kitten season is sad when you come home to an "empty nest" but mine is never empty as I have my pets. My pets who have so generously shared me now have me back to themselves and THEY are very happy. I try to focus on their happiness instead of my loss.
YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE!
You are supposed to. You are teaching them how to love you, that's a two way street. It can be heart breaking. The worst is when you lose one. Don't kid yourself, it will happen. No matter how well you do things, sometimes they arrive in this world with something wrong with them that doesn't show up until they are in your arms, dying and all your love won‘t make them well. Sometimes they catch something and it may be partially your fault. Sometimes the shelter vet will tell you that a sick kitten is a lost cause and that you must euthanize this one to save the rest of the litter. The lofty dream of being able to save that one sickly little thing is the stuff that Disney movies are made of. In reality you may kill a whole household. Miracles can happen but don't subject other lives to wishful thinking.
All that being said, the joys FAR outweigh the sadness. I can only speak for my own experience but it’s one of the funnest things I’ve ever done and I’ve done a lot of fun stuff. The winter months seem extra cold without the pitter patter of tiny feet; little pads as soft as babies' lips and the chorus of purrs that engulfs me when I lay down on the floor. I am eagerly awaiting kitten season. It should be just around the corner...
Hi my name is Susan, I'm a kitten addict.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You (and your pets) should be commended for taking in these poor kittens. It is such a shame and an outrage that people do NOT spay/neuter their pets. With so many animals put down EVERY DAY do to an increasing animal population, it just boggles my mind how pet owners can be so uncaring.

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

My pets deserve more credit than me. They have been so good and even helpful.
I think the saddest thing is when a pet owner dumps off a pregnant pet or a Momma and her babies. Who's fault is it that she got knocked up? I also love people who get rid of a pet with the excuse. "We moved". Gee, you managed to pack your furniture.

Anonymous said...

Susan, this is an awesome thing that you do. Many people don't realize (or care)what happens to the "stray" cats but through caring people like you, some kitty (or other animal) can have a better life. kudos!

Unknown said...

As a fellow fostermommy I just have to send some kudos to you for being such a great cat mommy. I love the blog and think it's wonderful that you open your home to these little cuddlebugs. Way to get the word out about it. If more people opened their homes and more people had their animals spayed or neutered, there would be fewer strays and animals ending up euthanized. Big hugs to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Was just curious, did you ever adopt any of the homeless pets that were from Hurricane Katrina? You do such good works for those kittens, I was just curious.

Susan said...

I have friends that got involved with Katrina's victims. Really, until August, I never got involved in any hands organized animal rescue.
I've always kept treats and a leash in my car in case I see a lost dog. Unfortunately the results of this have been quite mixed. Usually I return the animal to their owner only to have them say that their dog regularly goes for walks by themselves. When I have rescued younguns, I end up keeping them because most adoption agencies are full. This is why I like the shelter - they go back. Otherwise I could fast become the crazy cat lady of the neighborhood! NO! (At least not until my son is 18)

Betty Granda said...

Awesome blog Susan.

Thank you for helping to raise awareness for the homeless pets!